To every writer comes the time when a blank page or blank screen is before them, and they are bereft of words to type on the page or screen.
The mind usually teeming with ideas jostling to find space on the page is on walkabout. There is advice on what to do and affect a cure: chose a subject different from what you are working on, or write as thoughts cross the mind. Maybe mundane jobs such as house maintenance or shopping will bring home the words that have gone walkabout.
Below are ten writing prompts to help unblock your imagination, accompanied by images.
Take time out to sit down with a coffee or a dish of nuts, look through the list and make your choice. Look at that; already you have an idea, or an image, even a word or a sentence. Maybe a short story
Now keep on adding to what you have noted down.
Hey Presto! You have a story.
Eureka! It’s poem instead.
1. How would you like to be remembered?
2. What would you expect to find on Mars?
3. Lost in the Simpson Desert… how will you survive? what will you find… how will it change you ?
4. Supposing you were given a legacy… how would it change your life?
5. How to become a legend… by searching for a lost continent, walking on Mars, finding three kidnapped children alive after 20 years.
6. The lost dog… a romance
7. While shopping for a wedding dress you make an earth shattering discovery…
8. A young singer becomes famous… what does he/she do with their fame.
9. While washing the dishes, you see the neighboring family pile into their Jeep and drive off and never return, what do you think happened to them…?
10. I didn’t expect it to end like this…
How did you go? Filled those blank pages yet, cured the writer’s block?
Well done! Challenges are faced and overcome.
I’m sure a million-dollar book is now just around the corner.